Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fish and Chips and the Food of London

It's a little ironic to be writing about food on Yom Kippur, but hopefully talking about some of the food I've eaten will help me forget about my hunger. Before coming to London, I was warned that the British cuisine was not that good. Being a little food obsessed, I was a little worried that I wouldn't find anything to eat here. But I was so wrong. Maybe it's just living in a city, but every block has a restaurant on it and every restaurant has been amazing. The Indian food is just as good as everyone says it is. I was really happy about that because I love Indian food, but no one at home will eat it with me.

Traditional British foods don't always sound so delicious from their names. For example, spotted dick doesn't sound very edible. However, I have found that the traditional foods I've eaten here have been very yummy. Fish and chips is an incredible invention. Fried, flaky fish and chips, aka fries, covered in vinegar and salt is truly amazing. It's mouthwatering and crunchy and hot and perfect for the rainy weather in London. Now for dessert, I have tried sticky toffee pudding and let me tell you it is heavenly. It's not even pudding, but a spongy cake covered in a toffee sauce. It's wonderful.

However, probably the best food I've had in London though is not even food at all. Teatime is London's greatest invention. There is nothing better than sitting in a cute cafe with a plate full of tiny sandwiches, crumbly scones, and little cakes enjoying a cup of black tea. I've learned to put milk in my tea, the British way. For £12.5, you have a traditional tea time complete with clotted cream! I don't know what that is made of exactly but it was really yummy, not sweet, but creamy. Mixed with jam it is so good on top of a scone.

My first week of classes ends tomorrow. I'm happy to be back in school, but sadly the weather has taken a turn for the worse and it seems rain is the only thing in the forecast for the next week. Now I'm glad I stole Rae's rain jacket!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Comment - I do like Indian food, as long as its not spicy. There just isn't Indian food at home to eat.
<3 Rae

Unknown said...

wait. just realized i was mentioned in the blog - i'm glad you're making use of it since you never sent me a rain jacket even though i left all my rain stuff at home :( Yay for the shoutout *I'm trying to not write my spanish paper which is why i keep commenting*