Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Largest Ferris Wheel

 Today was my last day of classes for the week. I know it's Thursday. I don't have any classes on Friday! This is the first and last semester that will happen so I'm going to take full advantage of this. To celebrate making it through a week of school, Diane and I decided to go on the London Eye! I've never been a lover of heights and have always avoided roller coasters, so it was hard to imagine going on this 443 foot tall ferris wheel. But, when in Rome...

Walking up to it is pretty terrifying. Looking up at it, you can only imagine the Eye toppling straight into the River Thames. It is a 30 minute trip that I really believed would feel like forever. But once I got on you didn't even realize you were moving. It goes so slowly you hardly notice until your staring down at the roof of the Parliament Building and Big Ben. It was awe inspiring, the city is just as beautiful from above as it is from below. The mix of modern and antique is seamless in this diverse city. The Parliament Building is stunning from above and still my favorite building in the city.

The trip seemed so short and Diane and I were not ready to go back to our dorms yet. So we took a quick walk across the river to the Parliament Building and Westminster Abbey. We arrived just in time to go to the Evensong at the Abbey. What I thought was just going to be a few Psalms sung by the Abbey's choir actually turned out to be a 45 minute service. The inside of the Abbey is enchanting. The service was interesting to listen to and it was even more incredible hearing it in such a hallowed place. The choir was all men, which surprised me, but they were so great and all had beautiful voices.

Hopefully this weekend I will find some time to rest before Diane and I leave for Munich next Thursday. Tomorrow we are off to the Borough Market, St Paul's Church, and maybe some shopping. The exchange rate here is killing me, but luckily I'm good at packing my lunch.

No comments: